Tibbetts Point Lighthouse
Through the Years
Capt. John Tibbetts of Troy, NY gave 3 acres of his 600 acres to the Federal Government to establish a Lighthouse. In 1827 the first Tower and Keeper's Quarters were built.
In 1854 the first tower was replaced by the present circular one. This also marked the installation of the Fresnel Lens -- which is still in operation.
A fog whistle was added in 1896. It was replaced with an air-diaphone in 1927 operated by a diesel engine with automatically timed blasts.
In 1939 the U.S. Coast Guard assumed lighthouse duties until 1981 when the light was automated and serviced out of Oswego, NY.
Lighthouse quarters became a Youth Hostel in 1984.
1988 Tibbetts Point Lighthouse Historical Society is formed.
1991 was a big year for Tibbetts Point Lighthouse. Not only did the Town of Cape Vincent acquire it from the Dept. of the Interior, but the Lighthouse Quarters became Hostelling International (AYH).
In 1993 the Visitors' Center was built by the Town of Cape Vincent.
1998 marked the opening of the renovated Fog Signal building to the public.
Since 1999, the Tibbetts Point Lighthouse Historical Society has funded numerous major renovations inside and outside.
Some of our Projects include:
Resurfacing the interior of the Tower in 2000
Reparations to the Lamp Room, stairwell & audio system
inside the Fog Signal building in 2001
Repainting the Fog Signal building in 2003
Installation of the Visitor Center sidewalks in 2004
Replacement of the NY Historical Site sign, Installation
of the Hetzler plaque & portrait, and Completion of the
Visitor Center pavilion in 2006
Restoration of the Tower glass, Restoration #3 of the Lighthouse, and Restoration of the Fog Horn building interior in 2007
Installation of a new Seway Interpretive Board in 2009
Installation of a Visitor Center Weather Station, and Dedication of the Lighthouse Keepers Plaque in 2010